Today, I cut and cured the breast meat and some pork fat lardons. Both will eventually be decoratively laid inside the galantine along with shelled pistachios to break up the homogeneous appearance of the farce or forcemeat. I also cured the duck skin with salt and a bit of nitrite to perk up the color once the galantine is poached and I seasoned the farce.
I'll let it all sit overnight before I start Phase 3 wherein I
- grind and emulsify the farce,
- toast the pistachios,
- stuff and stitch up the skin
- wrap it in cheesecloth and poach it in duck stock
- Re-wrap it in cheese cloth
- Weight it and let it compress and cool