I'll anticipate the finger wagging of those who will accuse me of lording it over others by telling them how to live, by emphasizing that the following list is NOT a command, it's a proposal and the elucidation of a potential ideal. It's also highly irrational in the sense that it is impossible to practice. But I'm cool with that. Billions measure their lives and behavior against abstract ideals that they know they can never reach. I don't see why I need to be any different.
At the core of the list is the supra-proposition that suggests that the only way to begin to take control of your nutrition away from the control of people who don't give a rat's hair about your well-being, is to do it all yourself: take control of the whole process from gametes-to-table-to-gullet. If you screw it up, you've only yourself to blame and if you succeed you can own that too.
- Do not buy food.
- Raise or catch your food yourself or with family and friends.
- If you can't raise or catch your food, then only buy food that is not processed.
- Prepare your food with your own hands (and with the hands of family and friends).
- Use cooking methods that extend the cooking process and reject short cuts.
- Pay careful attention to aesthetics and strive for simplicity in the appearance and composition of each dish.
- Eat slowly and linger long at the table.
- Pay attention to what the scientific community says about nutrition but do not be credulous. Remain skeptical while giving serious consideration to empirical evidence only.
- As a matter of principle and practice reject diets, dieting or any way of eating that is not consistent with what you already know is the right way to eat and that is not based on rigorously obtained empirical evidence.
- As a matter of principle and practice reject all advice about how to eat from "experts"who do not qualify their recommendations by letting you know that they are not absolutely sure that their advice is true.
- Never fully trust anyone who is unwilling to admit doubt about what they believe.
- You are the only one who knows what is right for you and your loved ones: cook and eat to that. Not even Dr. Phil knows you better than you do. :-)
Have a Great 2009!