Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tragedy is on the plate

This morning whilst making the coffee we discovered that our beloved instant read thermometer had committed suicide in the garbage disposal. Let the horror of this event serve as a warning to all cooks to never leave our tools to play in the sink when they are depressed or have neglected to take their medication. Moreover, we should never forget that no matter how tired, drunken or frightened of the Insinkerator's cruel maw we may be, to always put a hand in before we turn it on. Goodbye dear IRT, you served us well these fifteen years. Our sorrow of your demise is made much the worse by the knowledge that we will not live to see you marry and give us grandchildren.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Crazy Raven Productions said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It's always heartbreaking when a tool decides that this mortal coil is too much to bear. Only recently, my beloved Oxo veggie peeler suffered a catastrophic accident, severing his blade from his handle. Take comfort in knowing that he is in a better place now, and I hope someday you find a fitting successor.

Jennie/Tikka said...

His cousins - the Digital IRT (Farenheit or Centigrade) and the GE Temperature Probe (not to be submersed in water) in California send their condolences.

I broke the news to Digi this a.m. He said "80 degrees?!?! 80 Degreeees! 80 degreeeeees" and burst into Centigrade. I tried to calm him down but he was unreadable. All I could do was direct him towards some ice cream and ask him if it was getting warm.

Best of luck to you.

The Foodist said...

*plays Taps*

blondee47 said...

You're a murderer...yes u are...however else you say it happened, I don't believe u..it had to fall from someone's plate or hands purposefully with the intent that a newer model insinkerator is what u want!!

and when u get it, make sure u have a switch under the sink that u turn off as an added precaution to accidents happening...

Scott said...

Alas, I am reminded of a tragedy in my own life. We are leaving tomorrow for Hudson, OH (just south of Ruhlman) to visit friends. When they got married, part of our gift was a Tel-Tru IRT (Hey, my best friend's Dad owns the company!).

The next time we visited them they were proudly roasting a beast. The bride asked how long I thought 'till it was done. I inquired as to the location of the IRT. She informed me it was in the beast!

So I ask you all, my friends, which is worse: Death by Centrifugal Torture, or Death By Immolation resulting in tiny shards of glass and melted plastic on you dinner?

Jennie/Tikka said...

Alas, Scott - it was recently revealed to me that the same fate was shared by an IRT at Firehouse 8 in Santa Barbara - as they attempted to roast a prime rib in a Ronco countertop chicken roaster. Even the pros are (apparently) not immune to such a tragedy.

We all have something to learn from this growing graveyard of temperature devices.

Perhaps a Memorial Wall....in the form of a kitchen magnet would prevent further needless tragedies from happening??

tyronebcookin said...

I lose about a dozen of these things to volunteers signing up to work as cooks assistants (yes, thats right, usually no experience AT ALL) aboard our medical ships (that organization I work for)...

Why? Because they pull things part way out the oven, check the temp, then push 'it' back in the oven forgetting to pull the thermometer out...without a second thought.

I usually find it in the trash later, glass/plastic melted out and bulged up, stem/pointer pushed out by heat force...melted to the trash bag because it was still hot when they pulled it out of 'it' and tried to hide the mistake quickly by throwing it in the trash!

Sigh...SIGH!

Redemption is only in small form if someone has enough integrity to tell me of their mistake.

Gotta love it.